8.29.2012

DIY Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

 Ok this isn't typical for me. I don't eat hamburger- just can't stand it actually.  But I've discovered that hamburger buns are great for all types of sandwiches, the banh mi being my favorite. After spending way too much on hamburger buns at the store, I had a "duh" moment-- why not bake 'em myself?

I'm a fan of this book on easy artisan-style baking, so pulled up their recipe for whole wheat hamburger buns. You could easily adapt this to hotdog buns.  Just looking at them I could see them transforming to an anko-filled sweet sometime in the future (an-pan).  Yum!

Hamburger Buns
Mix in a large bowl:
2.5 C whole wheat flour
1.25 C unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 TB yeast
1/2 TB kosher salt
1/8 C vital wheat gluten

Dissolve 1/4 C honey in 1.25 C warm water.  Add 2 or 3 eggs and 1/3 C olive oil and stir.

Pour liquid into dry ingredients, stir. It will be quite wet- that's how you want it.

Cover and let sit for 2 hours at room temp. After 2 hours, move to fridge. The dough can stay in the fridge for up to 5 days (freeze if it will be any longer).


When ready to bake, cut dough into 8 pieces. Gently shape into flattened rolls with extra flour. Don't overwork the dough- it will be really soft but that's ok.  Place on cookie sheet and let rise for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Brush buns with egg wash (1 egg beaten really well), then sprinkle on sesame seeds.

Bake buns for 20 minutes.  Makes 8 buns.

No comments: