1.05.2014

Nutty Chocolate Energy Bites (raw, vegan)

I've bought these from health food store bulk bins before- delicious and expensive! So when I saw a great looking photo on this blog and their cookbook I knew I had to try it.  I think I'll be making these for future airplane trips- they look sturdy and non liquidy enough to be a good plane food. They are great for sticking in a ziplock and stashing for an afternoon of errands too- they taste good cold out of the freezer or room temp.  And they are satisfying for such a small amount of space!

METHOD
Blend just to combine in food processor:
1 C pumpkin seeds (and or sunflower seeds)

1 C hemp seeds
1/2 C chia seeds
2 TB poppy seeds


Then, process these in the food processor all by themselves:
20 medjool dates (pitted)
1/3 C melted coconut oil
1/4 C cacao powder
vanilla extract

Add back the dry mix and process one last time to combine wet and dry.

If it is too wet, add up to 1/3 C rolled oats.  I like mine a little wetter than the original recipe, so that it cuts into clean squares.

Pack into a wax-paper lined 11x8 " pan, pressing down to compact them.  Refrigerate for a while. Then cut.

No comments: