1.05.2014

Monk Cookies (vegan almond oat thumbprint cookies)

I found the recipe on the Kitchn and have fallen in love-- now I've made these twice.   I really like them with marmalade- in the photo above I used homemade vanilla bean marmalade.  The only problem is the dough is a little bit fussy to shape into thumbprints. Another bonus of marmalde is it is quite stiff and won't run off the top of the cookie (so it reuqires less diligence in forming a thumbprint than with a runny jam).

You could make these gluten free by using a gluten free flour instead of the spelt. I would start by trying perhaps buckwheat or brown rice flour? 

These make perfect tea time cookies. I love them out of the freezer, so they make good work freezer snacks too.


METHOD
Mix:
1 C ground almonds
2 C ground oats
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 - 3/4 C spelt flour (or other flour)
1/2 C coconut oil (melted)

1/2 C maple syrup/agave

Let sit for 10 minutes - it will firm up and get easier to handle.

Form into thumbprint shapes. Fill with jam.

Bake 15 minutes at 350 F.

No comments: