12.22.2013

Nomato Sauce St Louis Style Pizza

I found the dough recipe in a cookbook and it was labeled St Louis style pizza.  I liked the fact that the dough is not yeasted- so you can pull this dinner together in an hour on a weeknight (instead of having to plan ahead with the yeasted dough!).

I combined it with my version of Nomato sauce, which is tomato-free tomato sauce. On the pizza I really couldn't tell it wasn't pizza sauce! I haven't tasted it on pasta yet to know yet if it passes that test, but I suspect it might. It is really quite tasty.

DOUGH
Mix together:
1 C all purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp fine sea salt

Now add and knead a few times:
1/2 C + 2 TB water
2 TB olive oil

Cut into two balls and set aside.


NOMATO SAUCE
Saute in olive oil and cook with a lid on until softens:
1 diced onion
3-5 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 small or 1 medium beet, peeled and diced

Blend in a blender until smooth.

In the pan, saute mashed garlic briefly in a TB olive oil. Now add the blended sauce back in, along with italian seasonings like black pepper, oregano, parsley, basil etc.

Season with salt and lemon juice to taste. 

ASSEMBLY & TOPPINGS
Roll the dough out thin and place on a baking sheet. It will make two 12" pizzas.
Ladle sauce over the dough.
Top with cheese and your favorite toppings. I like thin sliced mushrooms.

Bake at 475 F for 9-12 minutes.

Right as the pizza comes out of the oven, I like to sprinkle it with a little bit of parmesan cheese and chopped herbs like parsley and basil.  The combination of toppings that are fresh and cooked is nice on pizza.

No comments: