12.09.2012

Gramma's Spice Cookies (less sugar)

 A long time ago I posted my grandmother's spice cookie recipe. It is like a molassess gingerbread cookie, but for some reason we call them "Spice Cookies".  She makes them every Christmas and they are a hit. And they freeze well so you can make these in advance.

Now I've become more sensitive to sugar so I reduced it quite a bit from the original. I don't use shortening any more. And I love spices so I amped those up too.

Method:
Cream 1/2 C butter (or 1/3 C avocado oil + 1 tsp water) in standing mixer. Add 1/4 C sugar gradually and mix (use up to 1/2 C if you like sweeter cookies).

Add 1 egg and 1/4 C molasses and beat until smooth.

In separate bowl, sift together:
2 C whole wheat flour
2 tea baking powder
3/4 tea salt
1.5 tea cinnamon 
0.75 tea cloves
0.75 tea nutmeg
0.5 tea powdered ginger

Stir dry ingredients into wet mixture. Chill dough in refrigerator. You can do this several days ahead if you need to.

Roll out cookie dough and cut with cookie cutters.

Bake at 375 F for about 10 minutes.

Let cool. 

Optional: make icing (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11082/sugar-cookie-glaze/) and dip each cookie, then let dry. 

No comments: