9.02.2013

Lemon Almond Poppy Muffins (Whey & Yogurt)


I made too much home made yogurt so I figured I'd use some up in this recipe.

Reduced the sugar, increased the poppy seeds, added lemon to this recipe. So I was going to use whole wheat flour until I realized I didn't have any. And I was going to use coconut oil instead of the butter, but then I overfilled my yogurt/whey container and decided to try it without more liquids like coconut oil.

The texture of these is moist and almost rubbery in a good way- my husband loves gummy bears (it's a texture thing) and was raving about these. Full discolsure- they don't have cake-y crumb, but more of a bready crumb.  My guess is that the protein of the whey liquid and yogurt, along with resting the batter, is responsible.

These are not very sweet so I drizzled with lemon zest, lemon juice and powdered sugar which was perfect. I did try sprinkling with turbinado sugar but it fell into the batter so I wouldn't do that again on this batter.

The photo at top is the batter baked into mini tartlet pans (sprayed with olive oil first).

Mix:
2 C cake flour (or whole wheat pastry flour, or use all purpose flour)
1.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp baking soda
0.25 tsp salt
1/4 C sugar
4 TB poppy seeds

1 tsp almond extract
zest and juice of 2 lemons
1 egg
1.5 C yogurt & whey liquid on top of the yogurt (mine was from home made plain yogurt made from whole grass fed milk)

Set the batter in the fridge to rest for 4 hours or overnight. This should help hydrate the flour.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Pour batter into greased muffin pan.  Bake for 25 minutes at 350 or until set and slightly golden.

Pull out of muffin pans, and drizzle each muffin with mixture of:
lemon juice
lemon zest
powdered sugar to taste



No comments: