11.04.2012

Purple Potato Chips (oven baked)


My local farmer's market always has tons of purple potatoes.  I've done all sorts of things with the purple potatoes: potato salad, stuffed parathas, mashed etc. They don't fare so well in soups where their color muddies the soup color.  They are so pretty I hate losing the color by too much cooking or mixing with other colors. So I was thrilled when I saw someone make them into potato chips. Why didn't I think of that!? Now that I have a mandolin slicer, recipes like potato chips are more likely to turn out well.

Purple Potato Chips
(you could use any kind of potato)

Thinly and evenly slice 2-3 purple potatoes using mandolin slicer on thinnest setting.

Lay out in a single layer on baking pan.

Spray lightly with olive oil.  Sprinkle liberally with coarse salt.

In 400 F oven, bake for 5-10 minutes on first side. Flip over (I found quick fingers were better than a spatula for this task).  Bake for 5-10 minutes on second side, or until crispy.  Use spatula to unstick chips from pan, let cool then store in a bag or container to keep them crisp.

Serve as a garnish for soups, sandwiches, salads... or give a bag of them as a gift.

No comments: