When roasting, select a winter type, or one that is hard on the outside like acorn squash (as opposed to summer squash like yellow/green zucchini).
How to roast squash:
- Cut squash into halves. If you have trouble cutting the squash, prick with a fork and microwave for 30-60 seconds. Then try cutting again.
- Lay squash halves cut side up on baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to an hour, or until easily pierced with fork.
Now you can use the roasted squash:
- Scoop out flesh and use in soup, lasagna filling, muffin or pancake batter, quick breads or desserts like souffle, pudding, creme brulee or pumpkin pie
- Cut roasted squash into chunks and toss into a grain pilaf, pasta salad, on green salad
- Slice, scatter toasted nuts and drizzle with maple syrup and eat as is!