7.31.2012

Black & Blue Clafouti

Inspired by a cherry clafouti photo in "Canning for a new generation" and then this post
decided to make a clafouti with blackberries and blueberries (since that's what I had!).

I had thought with a french name it would be complicated, but really it's like an oven baked pancake or dutch baby, just with fruit/berries! So this came together quite quickly- my only complaint is that it heated up the house. It's quite lovely and would make a great dinner party dessert or poluck dish.

Since I don't keep milk in the house, I had to sub out for rice milk. I omitted preheating the oven (always the dare-devil I like to check which things really need a preheat versus not)... and next time I'd definitely preheat the oven. The cake batter seeped to the bottom- I think it would be better distributed if placed in a preheated hot oven.

Note: it is quite wobbly when hot- so I'd advise scooping with spoons (or prep in individual ramekins!). Or let it cool and it will slice easier. We actually preferred the flavor and textures of cold clafouti. It makes a good breakfast :)
Method:
Layer 10 -16 oz of berries (blackberries & blueberries or any kind you like) in a pie pan.

Beat 4 eggs with electric mixer until frothy. Add 1/4 C sugar and continue beating.

Add 1 C milk or non dairy mylk (I used rice milk) and stir.

Finally add:
1/8 tea salt
1/2 C flour (I used whole wheat white flour)
1 TB lemon juice
optional: almond or vanilla extract

Pour this liquid over the berries in the pie pan. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes or until set.

Serve hot or cold. (slices better when cold, or use spoon when hot)

No comments: