7.04.2012

BBQ Spice Rub & Sauce (home made from tomatoes)

Adapted from my friends' folks favorite recipe. The recipe made a little over a quart (large canning jar).  It was delicious on slow cooker bbq ribs

I don't normally keep ketchup in the house (in fact I used the last cup of kethcup from an old-old container- yay for cleaning out the fridge!). Hence I'm using canned tomatoes/tomato paste which worked well.

You can make this vegan by using a vegan version of Worcestershire sauce.

The recipe requires 2 hours of simmering on the stove, so be prepared! I'd bet you could adapt this for the slow cooker- something like a few hours (3-5??) on low is where I'd start experimenting (although I wonder if you'd want the lid on or off?).

Method:
Mix the spice rub and set aside: 
8 TB paprika or smoked paprika
4 TB white sugar
1 tea onion powder


Combine the following in large wide saucepan.  (next time I want to try making in slow cooker for 4 hours on low- not sure how much adjustment is required for slow cooking the sauce.) 

2 C pureed tomatoes (I used what I had which was 1 C ketchup, 6 oz tomato paste, some water and 28 oz diced canned tomatoes, pureed)
8 oz water
6 TB brown sugar
6 TB white sugar
1 TB black pepper
1/2 TB onion powder
1/2 TB dry mustard powder
2 TB lemon juice
2 TB Worcestershire sauce
4 TB of spice mix
(See above)

Bring to boil, then simmer on low for 2 hours until thick and dark. 

No comments: