This is really easy with a package of smoked salmon (even poor quality, which is how I ended up making soup), and I had leftover rice in the fridge, making this soup a snap.
1. Brown onion and garlic in a large saucepan in a little olive oil.
2. Then add 1 TB flour to make a roux (thickener for the soup). Stir constantly for a minute or two until the flour is cooked and the mixture takes a caramel color.
3. Add 1/4 C white wine and cook (it will bubble furiously) for a few minutes until it thickens.
4. Add 2 -3 cups broth (I cheat and use organic buillion). At this point you could run it through a blender, food processor, or use an immersion blender if you have one. Return to pan and continue heating.
5. Add soy sauce to taste, about 1/4 C.
6. Now you have a flavorful broth. Add leftover cooked rice and flaked smoked salmon.
7. Season with chili paste, red chili flakes, and fresh ground pepper.