1. Make sushi rice, see these instructions.
2. Toast nori over gas flame for 30 seconds, moving the nori over the flame as if you were painting a watercolor painting. (some nori comes pre-toasted, so check the package)
3. Cut the fillings to long thin strips (if applicable). You want them to be in uniform pieces and easy to line up inside the sushi. Here are some ideas for vegetarian fillings:
- Carrot shreds
- Daikon sprouts
4. Assembly: Place nori on a sushi rolling mat. Look at the diagram below. You want to place the cooked sushi rice on the bottom portion of the nori, but about 1 inch away from the bottom of the nori. Notice that we've made a bed of rice that's about 3 inches wide (it does not extend to cover all the nori).
Roll up using the bamboo mat.
Use a little water on your finger to seal nori shut. (like an envelope)
5. Moisten a very sharp knife with a wet towel, such that the knife is a bit damp but not dripping. Slice the sushi roll into 1.25 inch rounds. Make sure you wipe the knife clean between cuts otherwise the last cuts get mushy.
6. Serve on a platter with a little soy sauce for dipping. Get out chopsticks and enjoy!