2.01.2014

Favorite Gluten free Cakes

Since discovering the husband has a sensitivity to gluten, I've started baking gluten free things for him.  I bake them up, let him eat some hot and then we cut the rest up and stick it in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze it in the chest freezer. This way it stays good for the moments when he's hungry for a snack (and it doesn't tempt me as much!).

I also make my own rice milk which means I have a cup or 2 of rice pulp leftover each week. The rice pulp is ground up rice bits that are strained out when I make the milk. 

I started out making things as muffins as they are already portioned out. But now I find baking in a square or rectangular pyrex dish is easier to pour and easier to clean up. You just have to slice into squares.  And baking in glass means less metal residue in the food.

Here are our favorite gluten free cake recipes- I've already made each of these several times in the past few months!

Kabocha Cake: you can use any type of meaty squash and roast it for this cake.  I like butternut, red kuri, and kabocha squash for this recipe, and one of these days I'm going to try delicata squash too. It's a great way to sneak in some extra vegetables. 

Blueberry Muffin/Cake:  he loves anything blueberry and this creates a very tender delicious spongy cake.

Zucchini Cake: another vegetable inspired cake that I had been making with gluten for a while.  At first I worried he wouldn't like the green flecks- turns out that's a plus! It looks quite pretty.  And the zucchini blends well with cinnamon and nutmeg. 

No comments: