11.29.2013

Easy Meat Meal Prep for weeknight dinner and work lunches

I've been making plenty of elimination diet friendly lunches lately.   This one was:
  • Cooked brown rice
  • Roasted kabocha squash
  • thin sliced red cabbage (I use a mandolin slicer which is really fast and gets a thin texture which makes raw cabbage much tastier)
  • Slow cooked pork (see below)
  • Avocado Goo: mash up half an avocado (I use a fork and mash it while it's in the avocado skin). Add salt, garlic powder, little bit of water and a tsp of white wine vinegar and mix.  It's a nightshade free sauce that my hubby likes on all sorts of dishes.  It's kind of like guacamole but super simple.

Easy Meal Meat Prep:  

I prep these meats by freezing the cooked meat in cupcake pans, then storing in a ziplock bag in the freezer. That way you have a small portion of meat you can thaw one at a time. And it's efficient with freezer space (instead of a container that takes up space no matter if it's full or half-full). I rely on these for quick meals when I don't feel like cooking.
  • For lunch I can stick 1-2 of these "muffin puck" meats on top of rice or rice noodles with veggies and a sauce of some sort.
  • For dinner, I thaw a couple in the microwave, then use to top green salad.
This is simple enough a college student, body builder, bachelor or working mom can do it. And it pays off!

Here's how you do it:

Grab cheap cuts of high quality meat (I like pork shoulder or roast, or sometimes the loin is on sale; or beef chuck or beef shoulder. Bone in or boneless both work). Stick in the slow cooker with salt and pepper (don't add any liquid, the meat will ooze its own liquids).  Cook on low until fall apart tender, usually 6 -8 hours.  This requires less than 5 minutes of hands-on time.  Then it goes into the muffin pans and frozen as described above.

No comments: