8.02.2010

Raw Vegan Onion rings in the dehydrator


I followed a couple different recipes to make raw onion rings. Some people go as far as making their own almond milk to soak the onions in first, but I'm much too lazy for that. I did find that the thick onion rings were too onion-y. Unlike deep fried onion rings (where I like the thick ones best!) these should be kept thin so they dry faster-- raw onion in the middle gave me heartburn!!
  1. Slice 1 sweet onion (Walla Walla) into THIN rounds. If they are too thick they won't fit in the dehydrator or dry properly. I did mine 1/2" to 3/4" and that was way to thick. Next time I will do 1/4" or 3/8" thick.
  2. Food process almonds into fine chunks, add salt, pepper, paprika to taste. Pour the mixture into a ziplock bag.
  3. Dunk the onion slices into the almond mixture and shake to coat (won't stick so well yet but it helps).
  4. One by one, coat the onion slices in a bit of olive oil and water mixed together, then stick back in the back and toss to coat a second time in the almond mixture.
  5. Dehydrate overnight or longer at about 115 F.

No comments: