Elephant garlic is a huge version of the regular store garlic, and has a mellow garlic taste. Each clove is quite big, which makes it nice for roasting or for making garlic chips. This spread is delicious on crusty bread.
1. Remove papery skin from outside of elephant garlic to expose the cloves. Leave the individual cloves still wrapped.
2. Cut the elephant garlic in half horizontally
3. Place garlic in foil, drizzle 1-2 TB olive oil. Wrap the foil around the garlic, then poke a couple holes with a fork for steam.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for at least 40 minutes. Check for doneness- the garlic should be very soft.
5. Remove from the oven. Let cool slightly for saftey. Unwrap foil and slip garlic from the paper skins.
6. Mash roasted garlic with a fork.
7. Add 1-2 TB butter and 1/4 tea salt and mix until combined.
8. Serve on bread or with pasta