This is a really light/fresh tasting curry that doesn't require hours of cooking or a pressure cooker- very tasty over basmati rice.
1. Prep Ahead:
- Food process 3 gloves garlic & 1 TB grated ginger. Dump into a little pile on cutting board to reserve.
- Food process 1 small white/yellow onion until in chunks with 3-4 dried red chilies (I used a combination of dundicut and regular Mexican-food-aisle chilies)
- Quarter or slice 2 C mushrooms
- Open cans for pureed tomatoes & coconut milk
3. Add the garlic & ginger paste, saute until starting to turn golden.
4. Add chopped onion & chilies, stir and cook until golden. Then remove pan from heat and let rest 1-2 minutes.
5. Scoop fried onion mix into food processor and grind until smooth.
6. Add more oil to the pan and sprinkle a 1/4 tea more cumin seeds. Let cook 1-2 minutes. then add back the ground fried onion mix and stir.
7. Add 3/4 tea garam masala, 1/4 tea cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg, stir.
8. Add mushroom, stir. Cook covered 2 minutes.
9. Add 1 C pureed tomatoes, 1/2 C rice milk, 2-4 TB lite coconut milk, 1 C frozen peas, 1/4 tea salt, 1/2 tea brown sugar and 1/4 amchur or dried mango powder. Stir, and cook covered for 10 minutes.
10. Serve over basmati rice.